Thanksgiving is over. I hope you had a lovely holiday. It’s time to get back to work after a long weekend. If the idea of this has you less than enthused, and you’ve looked through your closet and have found yourself bored to tears, in today’s wear-to-work post I want to talk about classic work pieces that have fresh twists. What do I mean by this? I’ve spoken about this before. I call things like this in your closet Novelty Basics, meaning they are a bit novel in appearance, but can get you nearly the same mileage as basics can.
I think we all can use some novelty basics in our closets, be it casual or for work. Not only can you get a lot of use from these items, but they are great for days when you don’t want to put a ton of effort into a look but still want to appear stylish. A novelty basic allows you to do that because these pieces don’t require a lot of effort to look finished. After any long weekend of indulging, like after a holiday weekend, nobody wants to put a lot of energy forth in getting back to work.
Below are three outfits where I am taking classic work pieces and putting a fresh spin on the outfits using novelty basic items. If you’ve been bored with your wardrobe, consider adding a few of these more exciting items into the mix.
Classic Work Pieces with Fresh Twists
Classic work piece #1- The basic black pencil skirt
Imagine I used a basic black pencil skirt instead of this more novel one I am showing from Karen Millen. While the outfit would be acceptable, it certainly wouldn’t be the most exciting looking thing on the planet. Yet, with just this skirt change the outfit is a lot more unique. This skirt is a perfect example of a novelty basic. My guess is that it can be worn much the same way as a lot of your basic black pencil skirt outfits.
In this look, in addition to the Karen Millen skirt, the outfit is styled with a T Tahari white button down shirt, a Bauble Bar bib necklace, basic gold stud earrings, a gold bracelet from Stella & Dot and a pair of black boots from Franco Sarto.
Classic work piece #2- The basic cardigan
If your work environment is casual, and you don’t need to wear a blazer but you have also grown tired of wearing a boring cardigan every day, check out hybrids, like this zipper jacket from J. Crew. With the zipper and round neckline, the jacket certainly doesn’t look as buttoned up as an actual suit jacket but it also doesn’t look as relaxed as a cardigan. This is another piece, in a very universal color, that can be grabbed in many instances, from work to weekend, and add some excitement to a look.
Classic work piece #3- Basic black pants
If your wardrobe has become an endless sea of black and grey pants, consider some alternatives that are more colorful. I’m not asking you to look like a clown, but colored pants in deep, rich shades, like plum, burgundy, even a deep teal, can be just as figure flattering as a pair of black pants while being more exciting. You may also be surprised how many colors you can wear with these pants shades. Also, with all those black tops and jackets you probably have hanging around in your closet, pants in these rich colors will give you something to wear with them.
Shop for work wardrobe deals on Cyber Monday
Tomorrow is Cyber Monday and there are a lot of great deals out there. Don’t just take advantage of these sales for holiday shopping. Many work brands and designers are also offering great sales that can help you build your professional wardrobe.
Here are some you don’t want to miss out on! Some of the sales are in progress and others you will have to wait until tomorrow, 12/1.
- Anthropologie Free Shipping
- Ann Taylor 50% off
- Asos 30% off Code: ILOVEMONDAYS
- Club Monaco (Club Monaco has their biggest sale of the year on Cyber Monday)
- DVF 15% off sitewide Code: CYBER15
- Eloquii 50% off sitewide + extra 10% off when you spend $125 Code: MANIA
- J. Crew 30% off select full-price styles and additional 40% off sale + free shipping, no minimum
- Kate Spade 30% off site-wide
- Modcloth 25% off sitewide Code: CYBERMONDAY
- Nordstrom 30% off all products
- Piperlime 30% off sitewide + 40% off markdowns Code: CYBERSALE
- Zappos –Zappos.com Announces Fast, Free Giving! For every order placed on Zappos from Black Friday to Cyber Monday Zappos will donate 10 meals to families in need, in partnership with Feeding America. Their commitment is to donate up to 5,000,000 meals ($500,000). That many meals would feed the entire state of Kentucky! Through Feeding America’s bulk discounts, subsidies, etc. they’re able to use $1 in donations to generate 10 meals. Feeding America is a national top-rated charity with a network of over 200 food banks, and supporting 61,000 local charities in all 50 states, DC, and Puerto Rico.”