Happy Friday readers! Its Memorial Day weekend the beginning of summer. Time to hit the beach!
It also time to save your hide. Literally. We need to talk about skin protection. Skin Cancer is an issue close the heart of Bridgette Raes after losing her father to melanoma. Skin cancer diagnoses are increasing especially among young people, those in their 20 and 30’s and the saddest part is a few simple steps can prevent this.
Dear 16 year old me
Block Island Organics
Even just one bad sunburn can increase the chance you’ll develop skin cancer. Using sunscreen on a regular basis can dramatically reduce your risk. Despite this, I’ve heard people say “ugh I just hate the idea of putting a bunch of nasty junk on my skin.” To you I say I have found a great sunscreen that will protect you without harsh synthetic chemicals– Block Island Organics. Check out their website here.
Block Island Organics are:
- NATURAL & ORGANIC – Mineral sunblock ingredients – NON-NANO ZINC only (safest & best UV filter). Non-irritating physical sunscreen – no chemical UV filters
- ULTRA LIGHTWEIGHT – Non-oily and non-greasy for easy application. Perfect for use on the face and body. Great for all skin types including sensitive skin. Gentle and safe for adults, teens, kids and babies
- NON-TOXIC & CRUELTY FREE – Non-irritating and no gluten, harsh chemicals, parabens, sulfates, petrochemicals, phthalates, dyes or fragrance. Vegan formula, not tested on animals, eco-friendly and reef safe. Made in USA
- EFFECTIVE ANTI-AGING – Daily SPF 30 & broad spectrum UVA UVB protection decreases skin aging and the risk of skin cancer. Packed with antioxidants like vitamin E
The difference between chemical and mineral sunscreen is this: Chemical sunscreen will absorb UV rays and break them down. Some people say it creates extra heat. Mineral sunscreens use naturally occurring minerals to block the UV rays and scatter them. There have been some studies that say chemical sunscreens can accumulate in the body, even being detected in breast milk, but nothing was scientifically conclusive. But here at Bridgette Raes we err on the side of caution.
Read to get your own Block Island Organic sunscreen? Visit their website and use discount code = Bridgette to get 20% off through June 1st.
- Wear a hat with a wide brim
- Apply sunscreen 20 BEFORE you go in the sun
- Don’t forget your ears, tops of your feet and bald heads
- Consider SPF clothing
- Last piece of advice: DO NOT USE TANNING BEDS. The Skin Cancer Foundation says no matter what the tanning salon tells you, it’s not safe.
- Think only people with fair skin have a risk of developing skin cancer? Think again. Bob Marley died from melanoma.